Sunday, October 25, 2009

Beach Trash

After feeling like a castaway due to spending a few weeks on a secluded beach in Mexico. I awoke one day with an idea of walking the entire bay and picking up trash. The strange bit of this adventure was the amount of shoes that I found. It was interesting that I never came across pairs, only a single lone shoe missing its twin.

After collection two grocery bags full. I thought it would be a good idea to make them into some form of art before I threw them into the garbage.

Mimicking the palm leaf shapes casting shadows on the ground, I ordered the shoes largest to smallest creating my "found object art piece" Here's the photo of my work!

I'm still a bit bewildered by how many shoes are washed up on shore when compared to other trash items. I think that this provides a bit of a lesson to all of us. Please check your shoes to be sure they are a snug fit, or leave them with your towel. The ocean has a way of taking them and never giving them back.

13 comments:

Sara Bayles said...

Yikes! Thanks for collecting all that trash! And I like your photograph. I find a lot of sandals too, right here in Santa Monica. hmm.....
thanks for your interest in The Daily Ocean, check back once in awhile.
Sara

Lisa said...

I love the photo. Great job on the clean up :-)

Dave said...

Thanks for the comments. I hope that on my next visit, the beach will be a bit cleaner!

Clemenceau said...

Cool photo! I don't know why but somehow it reminds me of The Doors and Jim Morrison.

Duncan said...

Great photo and post. I liked your angle using the rubbish as art before getting rid of it.
Peace

ink cartridge said...

love ur blog

Your Hostess said...

I agree with Duncan, that was pretty bad ass to take a new slant on trash. :)

orionairsales said...

I go to my home country Wales now and then, which used to have lovely beaches. Now the beaches are littered with plastic and other trash. Shame, such a shame....

staten island air duct cleaning said...

Its really a shameful stuff, I don't like these kinds of beaches. hope next time I found it clean & clear.

David and Susan said...

I love the arty picture. I am an artist too amoung other things LoL.
I love the picture though.

Dave said...

Thanks for the comments! Gives me inspiration to keep picking up the trash! I haven't had a chance to go back and visit that secret little place in the Yucatan... but when I do, I'll be sure to clean up and make another sweet art piece.

Elly said...

the photo is really nice! and the idea as well :)

gangstalking-australia said...

Excellent way to try some new art. And the beach has a clean as well, well done on your effort.